Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Busy Morning in the Kitchen

It's a rainy & dreary day here & truthfully,
working in the kitchen today felt like therapy.
Seemed like the perfect way to spend time,
watching out the window at the pouring rain as I was cooking.

I had a bit of a kitchen 'to-do' list today, so to get started, I got the ham & beans on to cook.
Fine comfort food.



Next, I marinated the pork chops that will go on the grill this evening.
And washed the BIG bag of mustard greens from my brother's garden.
Now, you know what we are having for dinner =)





I kept out a few thick slices of the ham steak & fried those up, along with a few eggs.
Topped with American cheese & sandwiched between English muffins,
these will be an easy & quick breakfast for the boys for the next couple days.

I had a leftover boneless, skinless chicken breast from Monday's dinner,
a really HUGE one, so I turned that into chicken salad.
Yum!
I chopped it fine, added diced onion, chopped dill pickle, whole grain mustard,
mayo, salt, pepper, & dill.
Made a one pound container packed full.

Next, I made a big bowl of chocolate pudding ...
& then started on the pineapple ... the 3 pineapples, that is.

We got a brand new Earth Fare store & part of their grand opening special
is spend $5 & get a free pineapple.
Well, between Gunnar, Garrett, & us, we have 3 pineapples!



First order of business:  make Pineapple Fluff!
This is our go-to summertime dessert.
It's lo-cal, lo-fat, & is the easiest thing ever.


You use one tub of cool whip {8 oz}, 1 small box of sugar-free instant vanilla pudding,
& 1 can of crushed pineapple {20 oz}, juice & all.
Mix those 3 things together & voila:  pineapple fluff!
Since I was using fresh pineapple, I blended some of it so I'd have plenty of juice,
about the equivalent of what would be in a regular can of crushed pineapple.
Course, I never make just one batch ... it's always a double around here.


I learned how to make this dessert at Weight Watchers years & years ago ...
& have made it more times than I can count.
It's a big hit around here.
We like it just like this ... served like a pudding or a mousse.
You can also serve it as an 'icing' on angel food cake or over any regular cake {yellow, lemon, etc}.
Or you can put it in a graham cracker pie crust.
It's yummy any which way.


After I got all the pineapple chopped, I ended up with 4 quart jars of fresh pineapple!


So, all in all, a very productive morning in the kitchen.
Makes me feel all farm-housy.
Is that a word?

Hope your week has been good thus far ... & will end up even better.

 Here's my motto.

 

And always remember to...




Love & hugs <3


PS)  Got a bridal shower post coming tomorrow ... you will love how pretty is was!!






Who doesn't love a good party?!
You can find me here linking up with these great blogs.

Monday          C.R.A.F.T      The Dedicated House  I Should Be Mopping the Floor
                  Between Naps on the Porch  The Modest Mom
Tuesday     A Delightsome Life   A Bowl Full of Lemons    Titus Tuesday      A Stroll Through Life
Wednesday   Raising Homemakers        Savvy Southern Style         Adorned From Above
                    The Thrifty Home  The Dedicated House    A Wise Woman Builds Her Home
Thursday    Between Naps on the Porch   Serving Joyfully     Lamberts Lately
Friday      Rooted in Thyme  The Thrifty Groove   Farm Blog Hop  Best of the Nest
               French Country Cottage  The Girl Creative
Sunday    Nifty Thrifty Things    Suburbsmama    Sew Many Ways



2 comments:

  1. I love your hard work in the kitchen! It's so inspiring!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love being in there. It's just good for my soul. Course, I do it cause it's good in my guys' tummies ;) They love me for it ;)

      Delete